Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Wilmington
If you just bought your first home or you’re approaching the closing date, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and yours. You might be pondering the many ways you can customize your house with decor, paint, and furnishings. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make sure you give thought to home security as well. Keeping those you care about safeguarded should always be a leading priority, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Wilmington.
Complete a safety review of your new Wilmington property
Now that safety is at the forefront, find out what your new home already has. To begin, ensure you have operational smoke alarms. Test all of them and switch out batteries if necessary. Are CO detectors on site? Did you find a water sensor downstairs? This is also a smart time to replace door locks and inspect all window locks. Go room-by-room and get to know your new house.
Smart security tips for your Wilmington home
Once you’ve finished your opening investigation of safety devices and locking systems, you may think about enhancing your property’s safety. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Wilmington.
- Install a full-featured home security system. One of the top tools for new homeowners in Wilmington is a home security system. Modern wireless advancements let you keep an eye on your residence even when you’re away. You are able to view live video footage, control door locks, and even speak with visitors at your door directly from your smartphone. You can personalize your defense with worthwhile security measures like surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Upgrade outdoor lighting. Outside lights with motion detectors are a smart way to deter prospective burglars. You might even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. The activating of a motion detector can signal your video equipment to record.
- Keep your property maintained. Do you have an unblocked sightline of your property from inside? Are there large bushes and trees blocking your view? Get rid of possible hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it also.
- Meet people on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friendly with people around you, there’s a greater chance they’ll inform you if they detect suspicious behavior. You can also join your community’s social media presence if one is available.
- Benefit from home automation. If you opt for a modern smart home, you can make it appear like you’re inside by illuminating smart lights at scheduled moments. This is a great tool when you’re away.